Podcasts de historia

¿Era más defendible una fortaleza de adobe o una empalizada?

¿Era más defendible una fortaleza de adobe o una empalizada?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Todo lo demás igual, cuando estos tipos de fuertes estaban en uso, era un adobe fuerte o un empalizada fuerte más defendible?

Un poco de Y si condujo a esta pregunta. Los ostrogs rusos como Nizhnekamchatsk y Fort Ross tenían perímetros de empalizada, mientras que los presidios españoles como Tubac y Santa Bárbara tenían perímetros de adobe. Los dos imperios nunca lucharon (al menos en América) a pesar de que sus fuertes más remotos se encontraban a unos 100 km uno del otro. A continuación se muestran imágenes de muestra (no necesariamente representativas):


Los fuertes de Adobe son más defendibles. Quizás el más famoso fue el Álamo. Durante la guerra por la independencia de Texas, fue defendida por menos de 200 tejanos durante casi dos semanas con una probabilidad de 10-15 a uno.

Una empalizada era principalmente un recurso provisional contra bandas relativamente pequeñas de soldados. Era vulnerable a la artillería e incluso al fuego. Uno de esos fuertes fue el Fuerte Washington durante la Revolución Americana, que fue capturado con probabilidades de 8 a 3 en menos de un día. Después de sufrir grandes bajas en la aproximación sobre terreno accidentado, los británicos rompieron las murallas en dos lados, "invadiendo" las posiciones estadounidenses.


Esta es una pregunta histórica. Del mismo modo puedo contrarrestar que el hormigón armado con artillería de +15 cm y ametralladoras triunfa sobre las fortalezas de adobe y empalizadas.

Uno construye una fortaleza con lo que está a mano. En áreas más secas que pueden ser de adobe, en áreas más boscosas probablemente empalizadas. Uno no es necesariamente mejor que el otro. Son lo que está disponible. No solo eso, son los hombres que defienden los que hacen el trabajo. por no hablar de su comandante. La fortaleza está ahí para ayudarlos.


Fortificaciones europeas tempranas

No fue hasta la Edad del Bronce que se desarrollaron los fuertes de las colinas en Europa, que luego proliferaron en toda Europa en la Edad del Hierro. Estas estructuras utilizaron movimientos de tierra en lugar de piedra como material de construcción. Muchos movimientos de tierra sobreviven hoy, junto con evidencia de empalizadas para acompañar las zanjas.

En Europa, la opida surgió en el siglo II a. C., estos eran asentamientos fortificados densamente habitados, como el opidum de Manching, y se desarrollaron a partir de los castros de las colinas.

Los romanos se encontraron con asentamientos fortificados como castros y opida cuando expandieron su territorio hacia el norte de Europa. Aunque primitivos, a menudo eran efectivos y solo se superaban mediante el uso de máquinas de asedio y otras técnicas de guerra de asedio. Las propias fortificaciones de los romanos (castra) variaban desde simples movimientos de tierra temporales levantados por ejércitos en movimiento hasta elaboradas construcciones permanentes de piedra.

Maiden Castle es un castro de la Edad de Hierro a 2,5 kilómetros (1,6 millas) al suroeste de Dorchester, en el condado inglés de Dorset.] Los castros de las colinas eran asentamientos fortificados en la cima de una colina construidos en Gran Bretaña durante la Edad del Hierro.

El nombre Maiden Castle puede ser una construcción moderna, lo que significa que el fuerte de la colina parece inexpugnable, o podría derivar del celta británico mai-dun, que significa una & quot; gran colina & quot.

Castillo de la doncella como se habría visto


¿Era más defendible una fortaleza de adobe o una empalizada? - Historia

Última actualización: 08 / MAY / 2010 Compilado por Pete Payette - 2010 American Forts Network

Batería Point Atkinson
(1942-1944), oeste de Vancouver
Un emplazamiento de campo para un cañón MK1 de 18 libras, utilizado como batería de examen para la defensa del puerto. Posteriormente, la pistola se montó de forma fija en un pilar de hormigón (que todavía existe). Sitio ubicado inmediatamente al sur del faro (construido en 1912), adyacente a Lighthouse Park, un parque de la ciudad. Un pedestal de hormigón para una estación de control de incendios / telémetro se encuentra inmediatamente al oeste del faro. Dos reflectores se colocaron aquí en 1941, una posición aún permanece. La central de hormigón para ambos reflectores también permanece, ubicada inmediatamente al norte del faro. También existen algunos cuarteles de madera cerca del faro. No hay acceso público a ninguna de estas estructuras en los terrenos de la estación del faro, que está más allá del parque público. La estación de señales de guerra del puerto naval para el puerto de Vancouver también se encontraba aquí, en las cercanías del faro.

Primera batería de Narrows (norte)
(1939-1944), norte de Vancouver, Vancouver
Una batería AMTB de dos cañones de disparo rápido de 12 libras se ubicó temporalmente en el Capilano River Spit. Se trasladó a un "pórtico" de hormigón de tres pisos ubicado debajo de los pilares del puente Lions Gate. No queda. También se colocaron aquí tres reflectores. Un cañón AA se colocó cerca de Ambleside en 1942.

Batería Siwash Rock
(1914), Stanley Park, Vancouver
Dos cañones navales de 4 pulgadas se colocaron temporalmente aquí en la Primera Guerra Mundial. Un reflector se ubicó más tarde aquí durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial (el emplazamiento aún permanece).

Batería Stanley Park
(1939-1943), Stanley Park, Vancouver
Ubicado en Ferguson Point, originalmente armado con dos pistolas MK7 de 6 pulgadas en soportes MK2, luego reemplazadas por dos pistolas de 4.7 pulgadas. Las armas se cambiaron en 1942 por las de la isla Yorke. Los emplazamientos de armas fueron enterrados en 1948. El sitio está marcado por una placa de Artillería Real Canadiense. La revista clandestina de dos pisos todavía existe, pero no tiene acceso público. El comedor de oficiales todavía existe, ahora incorporado al restaurante Teahouse. El puesto de observación de la batería y la central eléctrica fueron demolidos en 1963. También se colocaron dos reflectores aquí. El parque público de 1000 acres fue creado originalmente en 1888. Ver también Vancouver Park Board - Stanley Park

Batería gris puntiaguda
(1914, 1939-1950/1968), Vancouver
Ubicado en Point Grey en la actual Universidad de British Columbia, Museo de Antropología. En la Primera Guerra Mundial, dos cañones de campaña de 60 libras se colocaron aquí. En la Segunda Guerra Mundial, dos cañones MK7 de 6 pulgadas se colocaron inicialmente aquí en soportes temporales, pronto reemplazados por tres cañones MK7 de 6 pulgadas en soportes MK2. Una fuente hace una referencia a Fort Gray en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Colocado en estado de cuidador en 1948. En 1950, los cuarteles se utilizaron como dormitorios adicionales para los estudiantes de la Universidad de Columbia Británica (también conocida como "Fort Camp"). El Battery OP se utilizó como estación transmisora ​​de radio militar hasta la década de 1960. La reserva fue transferida a la provincia en 1968. En 1973 se demolieron un puesto de armas y el área de acantonamiento para la construcción del museo. Las otras dos posiciones de armas aún permanecen en cada extremo del museo. La pistola de examen (1939-1942) era una pistola Hotchkiss de 6 libras. Un cañón AA de 3,7 pulgadas estaba en el punto a cierta distancia del fuerte. Dos cañones AA adicionales también estaban en el área. Se colocaron dos reflectores en la playa (aún quedan torres de hormigón y casa de máquinas).

Batería Steveston
(1939-1943), Steveston
Un emplazamiento de campo para dos cañones MK1 de 18 libras. Aquí también se encontraba una batería AA. Un cañón de 18 libras fue reemplazado más tarde por dos cañones de 25 libras en 1943. Ubicado cerca de la orilla norte de la desembocadura del brazo sur del río Fraser, al final de la autopista Steveston en el dique oeste de la isla Lulu, al norte de la ciudad.

Batería de la bahía de límite
(1942-1945), Boundary Bay
Aquí se ubicó una batería antiaérea para proteger el aeródromo militar cercano.

NOTAS: El puesto de Comando de Bomberos de la Segunda Guerra Mundial (1942 - 1944) estuvo ubicado una vez en "Wadsley" (West Vancouver), cerca de McKechnie Park. Más tarde se convirtió en una casa de huéspedes privada, pero fue demolida en 2006 o 2007. Un puesto de observación de la batería estaba ubicado en Prospect Point, First Narrows (Sur). De 1943 a 1945 hubo cuatro sitios adicionales con cuatro cañones AA de 3,7 pulgadas cada uno, que reemplazaron a los cañones Bofors de 40 mm emplazados en 1942, ubicados en Little Mountain, Lynnmour, Burnaby y Sea Island (Aeropuerto Internacional de Vancouver). La base de hidroaviones de la Royal Canadian Air Force estaba ubicada en Jericho Beach, ahora un parque de la ciudad. La plataforma de hormigón y los tres edificios originales de la estación aún permanecen, ahora en reutilización adaptativa.

Información de Vancouver recopilada de "Vancouver Defended: A History of the Men and Guns of the Lower Mainland Defenses, 1859-1949" por Peter Moogk, 1978, Antonson Publishing.

Un agradecimiento especial a David Morgan y Robert Zink del Coast Defense Study Group por proporcionar información sobre las defensas de artillería costera de la Columbia Británica.
También gracias a John Eckersley (CDSG) y Vic Stevenson por las correcciones y actualizaciones.

Fuerte indio de Homulchesan
(fechas desconocidas), cerca de North Vancouver
Una aldea indígena empalizada estuvo ubicada una vez aquí en la actual Reserva de Capilano. No queda.
(información cortesía de Mike Clevan)

Correo de Vancouver
(1889 - 1920), Vancouver
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co. Reemplazó a Fort Langley como el depósito principal de HBC. La primera tienda HBC en el área se construyó en 1887 en Cordova Street en Gastown, cerrada en 1893. El almacén principal de HBC también se construyó en Gastown en 1895 en 321 Water Street, utilizado como tal hasta la década de 1960 (todavía existe como Hudson House ). Consulte también Historia de la tienda HBC Vancouver de HBC Heritage

Nuevo cuartel de Westminster
(¿1858-1864?), New Westminster
La capital colonial hasta que fue reemplazada por Victoria en 1866. Los ingenieros reales fueron enviados aquí para proporcionar ley y orden contra los levantamientos liderados por los estadounidenses y las amenazas de anexión después de la fiebre del oro de 1858 en el valle del río Fraser.
(información adicional cortesía de Mike Clevan)

Fort Langley (sitio histórico nacional)
(1827-1886/1889), Fort Langley FORT WIKI
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co. Sitio original ubicado río abajo en Derby en Derby Reach Regional Park. Se construyó un nuevo fuerte en 1838 en la nueva ubicación, se reparó en 1839 después de un incendio, pero se reconstruyó completamente de nuevo en 1840. Cuenta con un almacén existente de 1840 y la Casa Grande reconstruida en 1957, el bastión noroeste y las dependencias de los sirvientes. Más tarde, este fuerte se convirtió en un puesto de aprovisionamiento para la fiebre del oro de 1858. El muro de empalizada fue desmantelado en 1864. Columbia Británica fue proclamada colonia de la corona aquí en 1858. La capital colonial se trasladó rápidamente a New Westminster como un lugar más defendible militarmente que Fort Langley o el sitio anterior en Derby. Véase también Los niños de Fort Langley de Lisa Peppan || Véase también Fort to Fort Trail

Fort Hope (sitio histórico nacional)
(1848-1889/92), Esperanza FORT WIKI
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co. (los registros de HBC comienzan en 1860). También se utilizó durante la fiebre del oro de 1858, cuando la ciudad se estableció formalmente. De interés en la ciudad es el complejo del Centro de Visitantes y Museo Hope en Water Avenue.

Fort Yale
(Museo y sitio histórico de Yale)
(1848-1849, 1864-1889), Yale FORT WIKI
Un puesto de Hudson's Bay Co. (los registros de HBC abarcan desde 1864 hasta 1889). El primer puesto fue abandonado a favor de Fort Hope, mejor situado. La ciudad se estableció formalmente en 1858 durante la fiebre del oro. Esta área de BC Heritage es administrada por Yale and District Historical Society. Vea también La ciudad de la fiebre del oro de Yale de BC Heritage

Publicación de McDougal
(1861 - desconocido), Princeton
Un puesto de comercio de pieles.

Correos de Cisjordania
(1820 - 1860), Cisjordania
Un puesto de comercio de pieles.

Fuerte indio de Lillooet
(fechas desconocidas), Lillooet
Una vez aquí se ubicó una aldea india con empalizadas. No queda.
(información cortesía de Mike Clevan)

Fuerte Kamloops
(1812-1932), Kamloops FORT WIKI
Un puesto de American Pacific Fur Company se encontraba originalmente aquí a principios de 1812, también conocido como She-Whaps Post. Esta era la extensión más septentrional de los puestos comerciales estadounidenses en el antiguo Territorio de Oregón. En octubre de 1813 fue comprada y luego abandonada por la North West Company, que ya había construido un puesto competidor al otro lado del río (Thompson River Post) (también 1812). Hudson's Bay Co. tomó el control de NWCo. publicar en 1822 y reconstruirlo en la década de 1840. Un segundo puesto de HBC se construyó en 1861 al otro lado del río para reemplazar al primero. Una réplica del segundo puesto de HBC se encuentra en el Museo y Archivos de Kamloops en 207 Seymour Street.

Una aldea de indios shuswap con empalizadas (¿fecha?) Estuvo una vez ubicada aquí. No queda.

Fort Shepherd
(Área de conservación de Fort Shepherd)
(1857-1870), cerca de Trail
Un puesto de Hudson's Bay Co., ubicado en la orilla oeste del río Columbia a seis kilómetros al sur de la ciudad, construido para reemplazar a Fort Colvile en el lado estadounidense de la frontera y para servir al comercio indio de Sinixt (Fort Colvile, sin embargo, permaneció en funcionamiento hasta 1871). Cerrado brevemente en 1862. Reabierto en 1863 durante la Fiebre del Oro de Kootenay. El Dewdney Trail desde Hope hasta Wildhorse pasaba por Fort Shepherd. El poste abandonado se quemó en 1872. Un mojón de piedra (1951) marca el sitio.

Fort Steele
(Ciudad patrimonial de Fort Steele)
(¿1888-1898?), Fuerte Steele
La ciudad se llamaba originalmente Ferry de Galbraith. Fue rebautizado en 1888 con el establecimiento del puesto. Este fue el primer puesto permanente de la Policía Montada del Noroeste al oeste de las Montañas Rocosas. Hay más de 60 casas y otros edificios restaurados en esta ciudad de historia viva. Cuota de admisión.

Puesto de Kootenay (2)
(1860-1880), cerca de Roosville
Un puesto de Hudson's Bay Co. establecido desde hace mucho tiempo que tuvo que trasladarse al otro lado del límite internacional recientemente examinado desde Montana. También conocido como John Linklater's Post en este momento. Tras el descubrimiento de oro en Wild Horse Creek, el puesto se trasladó a Joseph's Prairie (¿1862?). Eventualmente reemplazado por Fort Steele. (Ver también MONTANA página 3)

Casa Kootenae (1) (Sitio histórico nacional)
(1807 - 1808), cerca de Wilmer
Un puesto comercial de la North West Company ubicado al norte del lago Windemere. Más tarde se trasladó al sur en la actual Montana, y permaneció allí durante varias décadas hasta que la política obligó a la HBC a trasladarse al norte a través de la frontera internacional en 1860 (ver más arriba).

Puesto de Beavermouth
(1884-1885), cerca de Field
Un puesto temporal de la NWMP construido para vigilar y mantener la paz entre las bandas ferroviarias a través de Kicking Horse Pass.

Campamento de barcos
(1811 - desconocido), cerca de Mica Creek
Un puesto de North West Co. en el río Wood cerca de su desembocadura en el río Columbia (el área ahora está sumergida bajo el lago Kinbasket).

Puesto de Lac d'Orignal
(Parque provincial Mount Robson)
(1810? - desconocido), cerca de Moose Lake
Un puesto de North West Co. cerca de Yellowhead Pass.

Fuerte Alejandría (sitio histórico nacional)
(1821-1867), Alejandría FORT WIKI
Un puesto de North West Co. construido poco antes de la fusión con Hudson's Bay Company (los registros de HBC comienzan en 1824). Reconstruido en 1836. Se utiliza principalmente como depósito de almacenamiento de mercancías que van al norte desde Kamloops hasta Stuart Lake y Fraser Lake. Se convirtió en un gran campamento de tiendas de campaña durante la fiebre del oro de 1858-62. Varios edificios permanecieron en pie después de 1881 hasta que fueron demolidos en 1915.

Fuerte Chilcotin
(1829-1844), cerca de Redstone
Un puesto de Hudson's Bay Co. (los registros de HBC abarcan desde 1837 hasta 1840), ubicado justo encima de la confluencia de los ríos Chilcotin y Chilko. Los indios Tsilhqot'in generalmente no apoyaban el puesto (se les conocía como una banda bastante poco cooperativa y belicosa).
(información cortesía de Jim Wright)

Publicación de Quesnel
(1864-1904), Quesnel
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co.

Publicación de Barkerville
(1851-1884), Barkerville
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co.

Fuerte Kluskus
(1844 - desconocido), cerca de Nazco
Una publicación de Hudson's Bay Co. que reemplazó a Fort Chilcotin. Ubicado en los lagos Kluskus al oeste de la ciudad. Esta publicación tampoco tuvo éxito debido a la indiferencia india.

Fort Essington
(1835 - desconocido), cerca de Bella Coola?
Un puesto de Hudson's Bay Co. en el río Bella Coola, según el "Atlas Nacional de Canadá" (1974).

Estación de radar de Spider Island
(1943-1945), Isla Araña
Un radar de defensa aérea de alerta temprana RCAF Chain Home Low se ubicó aquí, al sur de Bella Bella en la entrada sur de Queens Sound, dentro de la actual Área de Conservación Hakai Luxvbalis.

Defensas de Bella Bella WWII
(Década de 1940), Bella Bella
Una batería AMTB de 75 mm de dos cañones y una batería AA se ubicaron aquí para proteger la base militar de hidroaviones.

Fuerte McLoughlin
(1833-1843/1882), Isla Campbell FORT WIKI
Un puesto de la Compañía de la Bahía de Hudson en Milbanke Sound. Ubicación exacta indeterminada, probablemente en el lado noreste de la isla cerca de Old Bella Bella (Waglisla). También conocido como Bella Bella Post. Abandonado para Fort Victoria, aunque el sitio todavía se usó de manera intermitente hasta 1882.

NECESITAS MAS INFORMACION:
Ciudades: Little Fort en el río Thompson, al sur de Clearwater.


El Presidio Original San Agustín del Tucson

En la cálida y húmeda mañana del 20 de agosto de 1775, el Teniente Coronel Regular del Ejército Español, Hugo O & # 8217Conor, estableció el Presidio de Tucson. O & # 8217 Conor, de ascendencia irlandesa, era inspector general y se había hecho un nombre en la frontera de la Nueva España. La construcción del fuerte probablemente comenzó en octubre siguiente. La guarnición de Tubac y sus familias se trasladaron al norte a fines de octubre de 1776 ocupando las bermas de tierra y la empalizada que era el fuerte de Tucson. La primera correspondencia fue escrita desde Tucson por el coronel Juan Bautista de Anza en noviembre de 1776.

La imagen de arriba es uno de los pocos bocetos históricos existentes que muestran el Presidio San Agustín del Tucson original. Podemos ver gente visitando afuera y más gente reunida en la pequeña capilla.

El fuerte era pequeño y estaba mal construido. En 1782, después de un gran asalto Apache, se construyó un muro de adobe de 8 a 12 pies de alto que tenía unos 700 pies de largo a cada lado. El puesto se mejoró continuamente hasta que alcanzó su tamaño máximo de aproximadamente 11 acres. La tierra encerrada en estos muros se encontraba en lo que hoy es el centro de Tucson, aproximadamente dentro de las calles de Church, Washington y Congress, y hasta las orillas del río Santa Cruz (que fluía en ese momento).

Este mapa, basado en el Mapa de seguro contra incendios de Sanborn de 1883, se redactó en la década de 1940.

Este mapa, basado en el Mapa de seguro contra incendios de Sanborn de 1883, se redactó en la década de 1940. Los contornos rojos donde estaban los muros originales de Presidio, en ese momento estaban enterrados en su mayoría por construcciones más nuevas.

En 1821, España aceptó la independencia de México después de un conflicto de once años. Para los residentes del Tucson Presidio, la vida no cambió mucho. El Ejército mexicano tardó unos años en llegar y cuando lo hizo se bajó la bandera española y se izó la bandera mexicana.

El Presidio permaneció en uso como fortaleza protectora hasta que los estadounidenses entraron en Tucson en marzo de 1856. Para entonces, los residentes estaban interesados ​​en construcciones más nuevas y se tomaron y usaron ladrillos del Presidio.
La tienda de regalos y las salas de exposiciones del Museo Presidio de hoy se encuentran en la Casa Siqueiros-Jacome, construida en las décadas de 1860 y 1870. El suelo para hacer los ladrillos de adobe se extrajo de un gran pozo en el patio trasero.

El último segmento en pie del muro fue derribado en 1918. La ubicación del muro original de Presidio está marcada hoy en las aceras de Tucson y # 8217, y demuestra cuán extenso era el fuerte.

La reconstrucción de hoy se encuentra en el sitio de la esquina noreste de la fortaleza. Las marcas en el suelo muestran la ubicación de los muros, con los nuevos muros desplazados para preservar los cimientos originales de adobe.


Sur de Ontario (este)

Puesto de Baie de Kent
(1720 - desconocido), Lugar de transporte
Un puesto comercial francés. El nombre indio "Kent" fue posteriormente traducido al inglés como "Quinte" por los colonos leales en la década de 1780.

Consulte también el lugar de transporte de la bahía de Quinte (sitio histórico nacional), el marcador histórico y el Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos.

Fuerte Kent
(1812-1815), Lugar de transporte
En 1990 se construyó una reconstrucción de un blocao de troncos, pero en 2000, debido a una disputa de propiedad, se trasladó a los terrenos del Museo Mariners Park en South Bay.

Blockhouse de la isla de Amherst
(1839 - desconocido), Isla Amherst
Una vez se ubicó aquí un fortín, construido en respuesta a la Rebelión de los Patriotas de 1837-38.

Fort Frontenac (sitio histórico nacional)
(1673 - presente) FORT WIKI
Fuerte de troncos francés originalmente llamado Fuerte Cataraqui. Fue rebautizado y reconstruido con piedra en 1675. Los franceses tenían tres baterías exteriores de movimiento de tierras en 1755 - 1758. Fueron abandonadas a los británicos. Los británicos capturaron y destruyeron el fuerte en agosto de 1758, utilizando una de las obras exteriores francesas como batería de asedio de tres cañones y también construyendo una batería de asedio de dos cañones adicional. Los británicos ampliaron y reconstruyeron el fuerte en 1783. En 1789 pasó a llamarse Cuartel T te de Pont. El puesto actual se construyó entre 1819 y 1824. El cuartel de oficiales (1827), el cuartel de hombres alistados (1827), el comedor / cuarteles (1847) y el Almacén del Comisariado (1820) aún existen, así como varios edificios modernos construidos para replicar la arquitectura de la época. Las ruinas de los cimientos de la fortaleza francesa original se han excavado parcialmente en Ontario Street y Place d'Armes, y también en el jardín central del nuevo complejo. El nuevo puesto fue renombrado nuevamente en 1939 por el nombre francés original. Ahora es el hogar de la Escuela de Comando y Estado Mayor del Ejército Canadiense, desde 1947. Véase también el marcador Histórico

Fort Henry (sitio histórico nacional)
(1812-1891) FORT WIKI
El segundo fuerte se construyó en el lugar del primero (un fortín de madera) durante 1832-37. En 1846 se construyeron dos pequeñas torres Martello a ambos lados de las zanjas que flanqueaban. Los británicos se marcharon en 1870, y el fuerte estuvo a cargo de la milicia canadiense hasta 1891, como la Escuela Canadiense de Artillería. Más tarde fue abandonado y se convirtió en museo en 1938 después de su restauración. Durante la Primera Guerra Mundial se utilizó como campo de prisioneros políticos, y durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial se utilizó como campo de prisioneros de guerra para los alemanes. Este es el fuerte de mampostería más grande de Canadá al oeste de la ciudad de Quebec. Restaurado a su apariencia de 1860. Cuota de admisión. Véase también el marcador histórico n.º 1 || Marcador histórico # 2

Kingston Blockhouses
(1812 - 1815)
Se construyeron seis fortines a lo largo de una línea empalizada en el lado occidental del asentamiento original. Todavía existían hasta alrededor de 1900. Blockhouse # 1 estaba ubicado en Gore y Ontario Streets # 2 en Wellington y West Streets # 3 (con batería) en West y Sydenham Streets # 4 (con batería) en Princess y Clergy Streets # 5 (con batería) cerca de las calles Sydenham y North y un pequeño fortín estaba ubicado en las calles West y Ontario. También se ubicaron dos baterías de armas a lo largo de la empalizada en las calles Sydenham y William y en las calles Sydenham y Ordnance. Los cuarteles estaban ubicados detrás de la batería en las calles Sydenham y William y también en Artillery Park, ubicado en las calles Barrack y Bagot. Las últimas unidades británicas abandonaron el cuartel del parque de artillería en 1871. En Snake Island, a unas siete millas al suroeste, se encontraba Snake Island Blockhouse (1813-1815) y una batería de un solo cañón. Posteriormente se planeó una Torre Martello para este lugar, pero nunca se construyó. Véase también Kingston Militia Garrison 1837-38 histórico marcador

Batería de mercado
(¿1820? - ¿1840?)
Una gran batería de cañones que defendía el puerto de los estadounidenses. Fue demolido en 1885. Estaba ubicado en las calles Princess y Ontario, cerca del Ayuntamiento. Fue reemplazada por la Torre Shoal Martello.

Batería de Punta Missisagua
(1812 - desconocido)
Una gran batería de cañones que defendía el puerto de los estadounidenses, ubicada al final de Gore Street.

Torre Murney Martello (sitio histórico nacional)
(1846-1890) FORT WIKI
Ubicado en King Street, a lo largo del paseo marítimo en MacDonald Park. Usado principalmente como cuartel después de 1849, no estuvo completamente armado hasta 1862. Operado como museo desde 1925 por la Sociedad Histórica de Kingston. Cuota de admisión. Véase también la entrada nº 2 del Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos || Marcador histórico

Point Blockhouse de Murney, un fortín de madera con una batería de movimiento de tierras, se ubicó aquí en 1812.

Fuerte Frederick
(Sitio histórico nacional de los edificios de Point Frederick)
(Real Colegio Militar de Canadá)
(1813-1870 / presente) FORT WIKI
Ubicado en los terrenos del Real Colegio Militar Canadiense, establecido en 1876. El Museo del Real Colegio Militar se encuentra en la Torre Martello (1846). El fuerte anterior (un fortín de madera con una batería de piedra) fue demolido en 1846, una parte de los cimientos de la batería de piedra aún es visible. El Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard estuvo aquí en Navy Bay desde 1792 hasta 1852. El Provincial Marine Naval Depot se estableció por primera vez aquí en 1789. El Point Frederick Blockhouse se construyó en 1791 para su protección. El RMC Commandant's Residence fue el antiguo Royal Navy Hospital, construido en 1814. Otros edificios / estructuras históricas en Point Frederick incluyen la luneta / caseta de vigilancia (1846), la revista (1846) y la "Fragata de piedra" (1820), la Royal Navy almacén y cuartel.

Kingston Martello Towers (sitio histórico nacional)?
(¿1846-1870? ¿O 1890?)
Torres de albañilería construidas entre 1846 y 1848. Se construyeron cuatro torres Martello en Kingston, las torres Murney y Fort Frederick (enumerados por separado arriba), más Torre victoria (también conocido como Torre del bajío) en Flora MacDonald Marina (también conocida como Confederation Basin) (FORT WIKI) y Reducto de Cathcart (también conocido como Torre de la isla de cedro) cerca de Fort Henry. (FORT WIKI) Estas dos torres no son accesibles al público en general. Las cuatro torres de Kingston representan el pináculo del diseño de torres Martello en América del Norte, antes de que el advenimiento de la artillería estriada las hiciera obsoletas.

NOTAS: Las defensas de Kingston originalmente planeadas eran seis fuertes y cinco torres Martello en 1829. Debido a restricciones presupuestarias, solo se construyeron Fort Henry y dos de las torres originales (Murney y Cedar Island). Más tarde se agregaron otras dos torres al plan original (Shoal y Fort Frederick).

También es de interés en el área el Museo de Electrónica y Comunicaciones Militares del Ejército Canadiense, ubicado al este de la ciudad en CFB Kingston, en 95 Craftsman Blvd. (Carretera Provincial 2).

Publicación de P r
(1677 - desconocido), cerca de Codes Corner?
Un puesto comercial francés ubicado en el río Cataraquí.

Kingston Mills Blockhouse
(1832-1870?), Esquina de los códigos
Uno de los cuatro blocaos construidos para proteger el Canal Rideau, una vía fluvial militar destinada a ser una alternativa al río San Lorenzo en caso de un ataque estadounidense. El fortín fue restaurado en 1967. Véase también Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos.

Blockhouse de Newboro
(¿1832-1870?), Newboro
Uno de los cuatro blocaos que se construyeron en el Canal Rideau. Fue reconstruido en 1888, modificando ampliamente la estructura. Ha sido renovado y restaurado a su aspecto original. Véase también el Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos.

Blockhouse de Upper Narrows
(1832-1870?), Cerca de Newboro
Uno de los cuatro fortines construidos para proteger el Canal Rideau. Fue restaurado en 1968. Véase también Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos.

Merrickville Blockhouse (Sitio histórico nacional)
(¿1832-1870?), Merrickville
El más grande de los cuatro blocaos que se ubicaron en el Canal Rideau. Guarnecido por la milicia en 1837 - 1838. Fue restaurado en 1965 como museo por Merrickville and District Historical Society. Véase también la entrada nº 2 del Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos || Marcador histórico n.º 1 || Marcador histórico # 2

Blockhouse Rápidos de Burritts
(1832), rápidos de Burritts
Aquí se inició un fortín, pero la construcción se detuvo. El primer piso de piedra fue coronado por un techo de madera en 1836. Se construyó una estructura de dos pisos sobre los cimientos en 1915. La estructura original se derribó en 1969 y se reemplazó por la estación de esclusas actual.

Bytown Commissariat House
(1827-1927), Ottawa
Fue construido y utilizado por los Royal Engineers como almacén y depósito durante la construcción del Canal Rideau. Después de 1856, el edificio se utilizó para almacenamiento militar. Ahora alberga el Museo Bytown (desde 1952). Se planeó un gran fuerte para el extremo de Bytown (Ottawa) del Canal Rideau, pero nunca se construyó. La Oficina de los Ingenieros Reales estaba ubicada frente al canal de la Casa del Comisariado. Era similar en construcción y fue desmantelado en 1928. Los cimientos todavía son visibles cerca de las esclusas. Los cuarteles y un hospital para los trabajadores del canal y los soldados se ubicaron en Barracks Hill hasta 1859, ahora la ubicación del complejo del Parlamento canadiense. Bytown pasó a llamarse Ottawa en 1855. Véase también Registro Canadiense de Lugares Históricos.
Véase también Estaciones de bloqueo Rideau Canal Ottawa de Ken Watson

NOTAS: Hubo otras 12 estaciones de esclusas de piedra "defendibles" construidas a lo largo del canal entre 1838 y 1842. La mayoría aún existen. La propiedad del canal fue transferida del Departamento de Artillería Británica a la Provincia del Alto Canadá en 1856.

Blockhouse de Gananoque
(1813-1859), Gananoque
Un fortín con un parapeto de troncos octogonal con cinco cañones. Posteriormente fue abandonado y vendido a un terrateniente privado. Marcador histórico

Blockhouse de Bridge Island
(1814-1815), cerca de Mallorytown Landing
Un fortín con dos cañones, con una batería circular de un cañón. Un marcador se encuentra en Mallorytown Landing. Esta isla fue un lugar de escala entre Brockville y Gananoque.

Brockville Blockhouse
(1839-1850), Brockville
Un fortín de madera se ubicó en Blockhouse Island (también conocido como Refuge Island o Grant's Island) como resultado de la Rebelión de los Patriotas de 1837-38. Fue destruida en 1860 después de que la isla se uniera al continente para un proyecto ferroviario.

Astillero Pointe au Baril
(1758-1759), cerca de Maitland
Un astillero fortificado francés establecido después de la caída y captura de Fort Frontenac en agosto de 1758 a manos de los británicos. El pequeño patio estaba protegido por movimientos de tierra y una empalizada. Dos barcos pequeños se botaron aquí en 1759, pero el sitio fue abandonado junto con Fort La Pr sentation (Nueva York) en agosto de 1759, y la guarnición y los suministros se trasladaron a Fort L vis en Chimney Island (ver también NUEVA YORK, página 9). ). Ubicado a unas 5.5 millas río arriba (suroeste) de Ogdensburg, NY.

Puesto comercial de La Galette
(¿1682? - desconocido), Prescott
Un pequeño puesto comercial francés. Abandonado y reocupado varias veces. Este nombre se aplicaba a menudo a Fort La Pr sentation al otro lado del río San Lorenzo en Ogdensburg, Nueva York.

Fort Wellington (sitio histórico nacional)
(1813-1869/1923), Prescott FORT WIKI
El fuerte fue originalmente un fuerte de movimiento de tierras, con una batería de orilla junto al río, en 1813 - 1815. El segundo fuerte (1837) se construyó sobre las ruinas del primer fuerte. Hay tres estructuras originales rodeadas de movimiento de tierras, empalizada y foso seco. Hay un fortín de piedra y letrinas y cuartos de oficiales restaurados. Después de 1869, el fuerte se utilizó como depósito militar provincial y campo de entrenamiento intermitente de milicias. Cuota de admisión. En agosto de 2011, una cañonera británica de 1817 conservada (posiblemente el HMS Radcliff) fue transferida aquí desde el Parque Nacional St. Lawrence en Mallorytown Landing, donde se había exhibido desde 1967, y se construyó un nuevo centro de visitantes para exhibir la embarcación, inaugurado en mayo. 2012. Véase también Historia de Fort Wellington por Robert B. Stewart || Fort Wellington en la guerra de 1812 por Robert Henderson
Marcador histórico n.º 1 || Marcador histórico # 2

Cerca de 356 East Street se encuentra Prescott Barracks (1810-1818), originalmente la vivienda fortificada del coronel Edward Jessup. También se usó como hospital de guarnición de Fort Wellington después de 1814. Es la estructura militar original más antigua existente en Ontario. Funcionó como restaurante y museo de temática histórica desde 1990 hasta 2001 (¿estado actual?).
Marcador histórico

Cerca de Windmill Point se encuentra la batalla del molino de viento NHS (noviembre de 1838). El molino de viento de piedra se usó luego como mirador militar hasta 1840 (Mirador de Windmill Point), y luego fue reconstruido como un faro en 1874, en uso hasta 1975. Cuota de admisión.

Bloques de Point Iroquois
(1812-1815), cerca de Iroquois
Two redoubts with blockhouses, and a detached river battery, were started here, but were never finished before the War of 1812 ended. In 1812 the first British fort on the point had not been completed, or named. A second fort was built on the riverbank in 1814, but U.S. troops did not attack, so the fort was nicknamed " Fort Needless ".

The town of Iroquois was the largest residential and business community along the St. Lawrence River to be entirely relocated during construction of the St. Lawrence Deep Waterway during the early 1950's. Its original location was across the Galop Canal from Iroquois Point, a headland famous in legend and history as a camping ground of the Iroquois. The point's proximity to the Canadian-U.S. mid-river boundary line caused it to be selected as the Canadian terminus of the international dam built to control water levels for the waterway. A new canal, cut through the headland to avoid the dam, turned Iroquois Point into a small island. The relocated town of Iroquois is north of the original site. United Empire Loyalists settled the place in 1776. The post office, established in 1789, was called Matilda after the township. In 1856 the post office name was changed to Iroquois .

Nearby, east of Morrisburg , is the Battle of Chrysler's Farm NHS historic marker (November 1813).

Cornwall Blockhouse
(1815), Cornwall
A blockhouse/barracks with a four-gun shore battery which was never finished. Located near French Point.
See also Cornwall and the War of 1812 from City of Cornwall

Raisin River Blockhouse
(1813 - 1815), Lancaster
A blockhouse and two-gun battery protected the road and bridge crossing the river. It was accidently burned down after the war.

Lac d'Orignal Post
(1842 - unknown), L'Orignal
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Ottawa River (Rivi re des Outaouais).

Post des Outaouais
(1613 - unknown), Ottawa
An early French trade post on the Ottawa River (Rivi re des Outaouais).

Bonne Chere River Post
(1825 - unknown), near Castleford
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Bonnechere River.

Matawashka Post
(1827 - unknown), near Matawatchan ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Madawaska River.

Tomississippi Post
(1827 - unknown), near Cloyne ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the headwaters of the Mississippi River, also near the headwaters of the Skootamatta River.

Fort Stewart
(unknown dates), Fort Stewart
No data. Located in northern Hastings County.

Camp Petawawa
(Canadian Forces Base Petawawa)
(1905 - present), near Petawawa
Founded in 1905, the base was created by the Department of Militia and Defence upon the purchase of 22,430 acres (90.8 km2) of mostly agricultural property from local residents. The Royal Canadian Horse and Garrison Artillery from Kingston were the first to train here during the summer of 1905. In 1906 the Royal Canadian Engineers constructed huts, stables and installed water and gas systems. By 1907 combined training and tactical exercises were conducted by various other units such as the Royal Canadian Dragoons, the Royal Canadian Regiment, and units from the Medical and Ordnance Corps. The first military aircraft flight in Canada took place at Petawawa on July 31, 1909 when J.A.D. McCurdy and F.W. Baldwin flew the "Silver Dart" in the presence of military observers. From December 1914 to May 1916 the camp was used as an internment camp for 750 German and Austrian POWs. At the same time the Canada Car and Foundry Company had developed three inch shells and were being tested at the camp by Russian artillery. From May 1916 to 1918, over 10,700 Canadian troops were trained here before being sent overseas.
During World War II, three training centres (two artillery and one engineering) were established. In September 1942 about 12,500 troops were stationed on the base. The peak load was reached during 1943 when approximately 20,000 troops were undergoing training at one time. Petawawa was also the site of Internment Camp No. 33 located at Centre Lake it held 645 civilian internees. There were 28 different nationalities, the majority being Germans.
In 1947 the training of militia and regular units of the Canadian Army resumed. Upon being given the status of a permanent camp, it was officially designated "Camp Petawawa" in May 1951. The unification of the Canadian Forces resulted in Camp Petawawa being renamed Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Petawawa in 1968.

Joachim Post
(1851 - unknown), near Rolphton
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Ottawa River at the Des Joachims Rapids.

ALSO OF INTEREST: Located just west of Ottawa at Carp is the Diefenbunker - Central Emergency Government Headquarters (NHS), built in 1959-61 to protect high-level government and military leaders during the Cold War. Decomissioned in 1994, now open to the public as the Canadian Cold War Museum. See also Canadian Register of Historic Places

NEED MORE INFO:
Towns / Villages: Fort Stewart in northern Hastings County.


Fort Ross rich with historical, cultural significance

Sitting here, watching the impossible happen all around, I have Fort Ross on my mind.

The news is that the state will "close" Annadel (however THAT could be accomplished!) as well as General Vallejo's old "Castle in the Wilderness," the Petaluma Adobe. It's hard not to be fearful that the oldest and most important historical site north of San Francisco Bay may well be next.

The fate of the Russian fort has been a concern most of the summer. There's even been a couple of Fort Ross "jokes," if you can call them that, like the comment made by a friend whose pragmatism outweighs her sense of history. "If they close Fort Ross," she says, "We will lose the best free restroom stop between Jenner and Sea Ranch."

That's one way to look at it.

In a more serious vein, historians from at least two nations look at it as a cultural imperative.

They believe that Fort Ross Historic Park is far too important to close. And the fact that it appears to be on the short list (whatever and wherever that "list" is) means that "saving" Fort Ross - that is keeping it open - has become a cause c??re.

I know that California's parks, particularly its historic parks, are all unique. But Fort Ross' importance reaches way beyond Sonoma County and even California's history.

This southernmost outpost of Imperial Russia, dating back two centuries - the earliest north of San Francisco Bay - has been telling its remarkable stories to visitors since 1903, when the state took possession of its weathered buildings, even then nearly 100 years old.

The stories from the Russian years at Bodega Bay and Fort Ross (1809-1841) involve a cadre of botanists, naturalists, agronomists, archeologists, artists and even a future saint.

Robin Joy, the park's interpretive specialist who has spent more than a decade on the staff, describes her reaction to the threatened closure list as "in shock."

Joy has her own list, reciting with pride all the factors that make Fort Ross stand out from every other park on the North Coast: Its status as a national monument and as the only Russian settlement in the contiguous United States the continuous stream of foreign visitors, including Russians and native Alaskans with Kashia Pomo descendants its place as the site of the first windmill, the first glass windows, the first European varietal grapevines, the earliest shipbuilding and the botanical "discovery" of the California poppy.

It also was home to the lengthy stay of a Russian priest who would become St. Innocent in the Orthodox Church the archeology project of the University of California untold numbers of school overnights, and for the kids' part - far and away the finest cannon presentation in the state.

Her list is long. It's no wonder the possibility of closure has caught the attention of the Russians, prompting a visit from the Russian ambassador in late August and a letter to the governor setting forth the official interest of that nation.

RTR Planet, a Russian international television and radio broadcasting service, last week visited the fort to alert the 75 percent of urban Russians it claims as viewers and listeners to the threat. The Fort Ross visit will be broadcast on the Russian channel today.

Joy, along with the many volunteers who are members of the extremely active Fort Ross Interpretive Association, are hoping that Russian businesses and individuals will support the association's contingency plan. They hope to keep the visitors' center open, the artifacts protected and the necessary support systems, like lights and water (and those precious restrooms) in place, should worse come to worst.

The idea that "foreign aid to California may be necessary is embarrassing," Joy said.

The importance of Fort Ross to Sonoma County's billion-dollar tourist industry cannot be overlooked. A study by the Fort Ross association showed that each visitor to the fort leaves $67 in tourist income with county businesses.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN fascinated by the global - or at least, western hemispheric - view of Fort Ross. It played an important role in the "China Trade," the circle of North Pacific commerce around the turn of the 19th century that sent ships from Britain, France, Russia and the United States on trade routes that included China, Japan, the Hawaiian islands, Alaska and Russia and, by way of Fort Ross, the reluctant Spanish, who claimed all of California.

All were hunting precious sea otter furs. (The Spanish considered all foreign ships pirates, having declared California off limits to foreign trade, but their defenses were weak, and many of the fur traders were smugglers as well.)

When the first Russian emissary, Nikolai Resanov, sailed into San Francisco Bay in 1806, the Presidio there was the northernmost outpost of Spanish California.

Resanov was a favorite of Empress Catherine the Great who saw him as a kind of missionary to bring the "Russian Way" to the savages of North America.

At the time, Russia had a toehold, little more, on the continent with a tenuous settlement on Kodiak Island (Sitka), a trading post of the Russian American Fur Trading Company. The post was important to a trade in which otter pelts were highly valued by the Chinese, but it was a long, long way from Russia and in dire straits in 1806. Supply ships either were not dispatched or sank. There was no agriculture and people were dying of scurvy for want of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Ironically, it was an American, Joseph O'Cain, captain of the Enterprise, who kept Sitka alive, bringing supplies and striking a deal to take Aleuts to hunt otter in exchange for furs.

The year that Resanov came to California to look for agricultural land as well as an otter hunting port was something like a year of destiny in the North Pacific. The British fur trader Alexander MacKenzie had reached the Pacific Coast of Canada a dozen years earlier and Americans Lewis & Clark were nearing the mouth of the Columbia River. Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia, the first U.S. settlement on the West Coast, would not be established by John Jacob Astor's fur trading company until 1811.

Unaware that a subtle shift in the power of nations along the Pacific Coast was under way, Resanov came to sweet-talk the Spanish into selling land on San Francisco Bay to the Russians. Needless to say, the effort failed, but the scant military might at the Presidio - legend has it that the Spanish fort had three cannon and two wouldn't fire, and that in order to fire a diplomatic salute to the Russian ship, the commandant had to borrow powder from his visitors - was a clue that the area north of the bay was indefensible,

So, despite the Spanish refusal to deal with Resanov, the direct result of his visit to San Francisco was the establishment of Fort Ross.

In 1809, another Russian ship, captained by a peg-legged adventurer named Ivan Kuskov, dropped anchor in Bodega Bay, which he named Rumiatsev. He built a shanty town and spent a year exploring for a permanent site. Kuskov's arrival signaled the end of the North Coast's "ancient history" and the beginning of the European incursion

Kuskov's scouting parties chose a site on a rocky promontory seven miles north of the river the Russians named Slavianka, meaning "little Slavic maiden." The site was defensible from three sides, the idea being that the farming would take place at three inland sites, which were eventually established on the river (using American geography) at the mouth of Willow Creek, at Bodega and in Green Valley.

In 1812, when the building project began, there were 25 Russians, about 100 Aleut otter hunters and several "kanakas" - Hawaiian men - at the outpost. By its peak, with the inland farms operative, which was about 1822, Joy estimates that there were 246 people living in and near Fort Ross - more, she points out, than San Francisco at that time.

The Russians stayed 29 years, during which the Spanish (and later, after a war of independence, Mexicans) scrambled to explore and settle their Frontera del Norte to curb Russian expansion.

In 1841, Russia made another overture - to the Mexican government - to purchase land and was soundly denied. They sold their fort to John Sutter - a Swiss immigrant who had empire-building plans in the Sacramento Valley, and went home. Sutter never paid for his purchase. But that's another story.

THE STORY NOW is how to keep Fort Ross Historic State Park open. This has been only a partial list of good reasons. There's another that comes with a heavy dose of irony.

There is a public meeting next Saturday in San Francisco to make plans for the Fort Ross Bicentennial Celebration.

The fort will be 200 years old in 2012 - the first site to celebrate a bicentennial in this area, Joy is quick to add - and organizations involved are getting ready for the big event.

When I mentioned this to another state parks employee last week, she gave a hollow laugh and said, "Well, they can still celebrate, I guess."

But if the state carries out its plans to close 100 parks and Fort Ross stays on the hit list, we can celebrate, all right. But we might not be able to go in.


The Cultural Landscape of Fort Vancouver National Historic Site: Hudson's Bay Company, 1824-1846

This sketch, drawn by A.B. Roberts in the 1850s, shows the Fort Vancouver Village with the fort in the background.

Administrative and Political Context

Chartered by the British crown since 1670, the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) dominated the fur trade in Canada, and later the Western territories, for two hundred years. Based out of the Hudson Bay region, the English fur trade monopoly encompassed 1.5 million square miles of territory between Russian Alaska and Mexican California. To keep up with a growing fur market and the shrinking supply of beaver pelts, HBC extended their range to interior western lands. In 1821, HBC acquired four trading posts in the Columbia Basin region from their rival company North West Company when the two businesses merged: Fort George at the Columbia River mouth, Fort Nez Percé, Spokane House, and Kootenai House. As these depots were unprofitable, HBC directed George Simpson to survey the region and recommend a course of action. Simpson did so, and in late 1824 he selected Jolie Prairie at the current Vancouver National Historic Reserve area as the site for the new Fort Vancouver.

Simpson's choice of a site on the north side as opposed to the south side of the Columbia River was likely a political strategy to keep the territory north of the Columbia River under British rule. Although the British-American War of 1812 ended in 1814 with the Treaty of Ghent, the treaty did not resolve the disputed claims of Great Britain and the United States to the entire territory west of the Rocky Mountains. The principal disagreement centered on the location of the boundary between Canada and the United States. Great Britain proposed the boundary follow the 49th parallel from the Rockies westward until it intersected the Columbia River, then follow the river southwest to the Pacific Ocean. The United States wanted the boundary to continue along the 49th parallel until it met the ocean - the current boundary between Canada and the United States. The two countries suspended negotiations in summer 1824, leaving final settlement of the disputed land between the 49th parallel and the Columbia River unresolved. The Hudson's Bay Company's establishment of Fort Vancouver later that same year reinforced Great Britain's claim to the undecided territory.

Within a decade, Fort Vancouver became the HBC Columbia Department's main supply post and administrative headquarters and the center of all HBC activities west of the Rockies, including international trade. Simpson decided to develop a sizeable agricultural operation to both supply the fort's needs as well as to augment the company's profitable export business. He appointed John McLoughlin as Chief Factor to oversee the fort's operations, and for twenty years McLoughlin managed a vast trade enterprise that extended from Alaska and the Rockies to California and Hawaii. Fort Vancouver's economic, political, and social influence peaked in the years between 1829 and 1846 as the fort became the manufacturing and agricultural hub of the Pacific Northwest. Agricultural activity intensified while the fur trade declined, and early industrial operations developed at the HBC fort, including salmon fisheries, large-scale timber milling, and grain milling. During this period, Fort Vancouver welcomed numerous travelers, explorers, missionaries, and scientists, including renowned Scottish botanist David Douglas and botanist Dr. Thomas Nuttall.

Fort Vancouver was instrumental in American westward expansion by providing pioneers the necessary provisions to establish farms across the Pacific Northwest from Puget Sound to the Willamette Valley. Starting in 1842, pioneer emigrants flooded into the area on the Oregon Trail. This mass wave of American settlement dampened British hopes of establishing control over the lower Columbia Basin. Finally the 1846 Oregon Treaty settled the boundary dispute in the United States' favor and signaled the end of the HBC period.

Site Description

The place we have selected is beautiful as may be inferred from its Name and the Country so open that from the Establishment there is good traveling on Horseback to any part of the interior a Farm to any extent may be made there, the pasture is good and innumerable herds of Swine can fatten so as to be fit for the Knife merely on nutricious [sic] Roots that are found here in any quantity and the Climate so fine that Indian Corn and other Grain cannot fail of thriving. The distance from the Harbour is the only inconvenience but that is of little importance being now a secondary establishment. at the Jolie Prairie or Belle vue Point where the New Fort is situated it may be from time to time enlarged without the trouble of felling a tree.

Simpson's description supports the assertion that the site had been modified by Native American land practices in a manner subsequently conducive to Euro-American settlement. His references to "good pasture" and "nutritious roots" (probably camas) suitable for pigs, combined with Alexander Henry's account of fire and subsequent grass growth on the site a decade earlier, are consistent with ethnohistorical and ethnobotanical accounts of prescribed burning. The site consisted of floodplain terraces stepping back from the Columbia River. According to Alexander Henry's 1814 observations and Simpson's 1824 reconnaissance, the land adjacent to the river was low and often under water (three miles long by three-quarter mile wide) the next terrace was high prairie ground rising up about thirty feet (two miles long by two miles wide) and dense coniferous forest rose sixty feet above it. Simpson also noted two lakes located in the center of the plain and occasionally inundated by spring floods.

Archaeological study has not yet uncovered the exact location of this first fort, however early maps show that it was in the vicinity of E Grand and E 6th Street. The fort was originally built on the upper plain of a bluff overlooking the lower plain this location was chosen due to its protected position and the company's concern over potential hostile relations with native peoples. Simpson related that "The Establishment is beautifully situated on the top of a bank about 1-1/4 Miles from the Water side commanding an extensive view of the River the surrounding Country and the fine plain below which is watered by two very pretty small Lakes and studded as if artificially by clumps of Fine Timber." The original site was abandoned when concerns about possible conflict proved unfounded, and the one-mile distance for obtaining water and shipping goods became too inconvenient. In the winter 1828-29, HBC officials moved the fort stockade within 400 yards of the river on the lower plain one-mile west of the fort's original location.

Fort Vancouver developed to its greatest extent by the 1840s. Hudson's Bay Company farmland comprised three large meadows, named Fort Plain, Lower Plain, and Mill Plain, nestled in a forest along the Columbia River. Fort Plain (alaëi'k-aë or turtle place) and Mill Plain (tij - no translation) were located on original prairies most likely maintained by lower Columbia tribes prior to HBC establishment. Additionally, there were five plains north and east of the three primary fort plains, typically called the "back plains," which intermittently supported crops. Dense coniferous forests defined the boundaries of the Fort Plain, and on the plain's northwest edge, a band of forest extended nearly to the river's edge.

Map showing the site as it appeared in the Hudson's Bay Company period, 1824 to 1846.

Landscape Characteristics

Natural Systems and Vegetation

The abundant availability of natural resources provided an optimal site for successful fur-trading and agricultural enterprise. The site's strategic location on the Columbia River and its surrounding natural resources were prime factors that attracted the Hudson's Bay Company. Key natural resources included the Columbia River and major streams for transportation a mild, maritime climate and good soils for farming large grasslands with livestock potential plenty of timber for building and open space in the midst of impenetrable forests to accommodate fort development.

Several people visited and documented the vegetation of Fort Vancouver in its early years. Early explorers observed the site's unique prairie-forest composition before and after the fort's construction. Pioneer settlers approvingly appraised prairies as useful places for livestock grazing and agriculture operations, while forests provided the necessary building materials.

George Simpson described the natural vegetation in the region west of the Cascade Range after his winter 1824-25 trip up the Columbia River to Jolie Prairie: "The banks of the Columbia on both sides from Capes Disappointment and Adams to the Cascade portage a distance of from 150 to 180 Miles are covered with a great variety of fine large timber, consisting of Pine of different kinds, of Cedar, Hemlock, Oak, Ask, Alder Maple and Poplar with many other kinds unknown to me."

After his 1825 visit, John Scouler wrote:

It is situated in the middle of a beautiful prairie, containing about 300 acres of excellent land, on which potatoes and other vegetables are cultivated while a large plain between the fort and river affords abundance of pasture to 120 horses, besides other cattle. The forests around the fort consists chiefly of Pinue balsamea & P. canandensis (trees since identified as Psuedotsuga douglasii y Picea sitchensis). Within a short distance of the fort I found several interesting plants, as Phalagium escluentum, Berberis nervosa, B. Aquifolium, Calypso borealis &erio Corallorhiza innata. The root of the Phalangium esculentem (bulb since identified as Camassia quamash or camas) is much used by the natives as a substitute for bread. They grow abundantly in the moist prairies, the flower is usually blue, but sometimes white flowers are found.

Extensive natural meadows and plains of deep fertile alluvial deposit are covered with a rich sward of grass and a profusion of flowering plants. my labour in the neighborhood of this place was well rewarded by Ribes sanguineum (currant), Berberis aquifolium (tall Oregon grape), Acer macrophyllum (bigleaf maple), Scilla esculenta (Camassia quamash, camas), Pyrola aphylla (leafless pyrola), Caprifolium cilosium (Lonicera cilosium, honeysuckle), and a multitude of other plants.

Spatial Organization

Land Use

Fort Vancouver was a full-scale manufacturing, agricultural, and trading center of the Pacific Northwest by 1846, and Simpson's vision of the HBC post as a regional and global trading center was realized. The Fort Plain lands functioned according to uses driven by this prominent industry the HBC environs were utilized for extensive agriculture, for industries related to the export trade business, and to meet the subsistence needs of the many residents. Residential areas, farm clusters, industrial areas, fields, pastures, and mills all developed to support this first large-scale Pacific Northwest trade post. As development proceeded, forests and prairies were cleared to make way for fields and farms.

The Columbia River was the primary transportation corridor that supported Fort Vancouver's trading and agricultural industries. Travel still occurred mainly by water during this period, and people and goods arrived and departed Fort Vancouver via boat. The waterfront was thus an active place, and an important nexus between the fort site and the river.

Circulation

Development of roads, paths, and water routes was largely driven by the fort's function as a fur-trading and agricultural post. Principal access to and from the site during this period was from the Columbia River. The Columbia River was the focal point of activity, and the primary transportation route for far-ranging trade and supply ships, as well as local travel. Hudson's Bay Company ships, London-based supply ships, and civilian and military trading ships traveled upriver from the Pacific Ocean. Verious river craft transported passengers and goods down river from The Dalles, while barges and boats brought passengers and goods from the Willamette River to the Columbia to the Company's wharf.

An 1825 map shows that the first road was constructed on a north-south axis from the Columbia River to the first fort site. This road allowed goods unloaded from ships at the waterfront to be transported up the bluff to the stockade's storehouses. Carting goods the nearly one-mile distance with wagons was an arduous process. The exact anchorage and staging area for the first fort is unknown, although a wharf was constructed southeast of the 1828-29 fort site within this time period.

Early maps illustrate conflicting information with respect to the road system development. An 1846 map by Richard Covington is fairly consistent with an 1844 map by Henry Peers, which shows the east-west Upper Mill Plain Road and the Lower Mill Plain Road, and a southeasterly road connecting the two mill plain roads. But these two maps differ from the 1845–46 Vavasour map in depicting the location of the southeasterly road in relation to the lower lakes. None of the 1840s maps indicate the connection between the Lower Mill Plain Road and the river.

This drawing is based on an 1846 map drawn by Richard Covington.

Buildings, Clusters, and Small-scale Features

Fort Vancouver was laid out in a series of clustered structures and features organized around the floodplain hydrology, topography, and vegetation patterns. Major clusters were arranged along the Columbia River and on naturally occurring open meadows these principal clusters consisted of Fort Plain, Lower Plain, Mill Plain, the sawmill, the gristmill, as well as the Back Plains prairie series located north and east of the fort. Agriculture fields were initially tilled into existing open prairies on alluvial soils, and barns and utility sheds were adjacent to fields. Mills operated on streams emptying into the Columbia River, while sheds and workers’ housing were located nearby. The upland forests provided crucial building materials.

The Fort Plain contained several clusters: the stockade the employee village surrounding gardens, fields, and orchards and the river front complex. The 1829 fort stockade was the center of the outfit with roads radiating out from the fort. The stockade cluster contained stores, warehouses, offices, and officer residences. Other structures and agricultural operations built up around the HBC fort: schools, stables, a cemetery, a church, garden, orchard, and cultivated fields.

A large, multi-cultural village (sometimes referred to as Kanaka Village or the Village) developed west of the fort and was comprised of several employee residences, some with enclosed gardens. Fort Vancouver attracted numerous people from distant places. American Indians from the east coast and Canada, native Hawaiians, French Canadians, English, Scots, and Metís came to Fort Vancouver, and created a very diverse community at Fort Vancouver’s employee village. South of the village was a cluster of structures arranged around a pond connected to the Columbia River these were predominantly utilitarian structures such as stables, cooper’s shop, saw, and tanning pits. The southern edge of this cluster included the salmon house (store) leading to a wharf, a warehouse, a hospital, and a salt house.


Was an adobe fort or a palisade fort more defensible? - Historia

On May 10, 1775, a motley force under Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold surprised and captured the neglected Fort Ticonderoga and its small garrison. Its cannon were dragged to Dorchester Heights outside of Boston, where they convinced the British to withdraw. An American force invaded Canada but was sent reeling after a failed assault of Quebec on the last day of the year. In 1776 a planned British invasion along Lake Champlain required the construction of a fleet. By the time it defeated an American fleet at Valcour Island, it was too late in the season to tackle the American army at Ticonderoga. But for 1777, another British invasion was planned, this time with 8,000 men under Sir John Burgoyne. Ticonderoga and Mount Independence across the lake were defended by 2,500 to 3,000 men under Gen Arthur St. Clair. St. Clair had only taken command on June 13th. The previous commander, Col Anthony Wayne, believed that the fort was entrely defensible and said as much to Wahington after he was transfered to his command. Commander of the Northern Army, Gen. Schyuler, felt very differently he felt he needed 10,000 men to properly man the defenses. St Clair said he had only 1,576 healthy soldiers the day that he took command, which rose by 500 at the end of the month. Exact numbers are unclear, but St Clair later stated that if his men manned all the defenses, they would be stretched so thin that they would be barely within shouting distance of each other. Further, British light troops and Indian allies so controlled the wilderness around the fort that the Americans could scarely send out patrols. So, when Burgoyne landed troops three miles to the north of either side of the lake, they were uncontested and undetected but for the sound of their fifes and drums.

On July 2nd, British forces reached Les Chutes, the water and portage connection with Lake George, cutting off potential American escape via Lake George.

The old French earthworks that the British had assaulted at such cost in the French and Indian War were put back into service. Quickly, however, they fell to the British - on July 2nd.


The reconstructed earthworks on the right side of the panorama works is one of the works that protected the lower, flatter ground north of the main fort. Another is near the parking area at the treeline on the left side of the panorama. The main road leads to the fort itself, which we will see next.


If the British managed to get through the earthworks, they would face the stone fort, a formidable fortification for such a sparsely populated area. The standard four sided square trace with four bastions was augmented by two outworks called demi-lunes, giving the defenses more depth, and a covered way for the infantry to defend was fronted by a wooden palisade.

Designed and built originally by the French, the fort was built at a narrow point along Lake Champlain where water from Lake George entered after passing waterfalls - so the most impressive defenses faced east and south. Across the entering waters from Lake George was Sugar Loaf Hill, now caleed Mount Defiance this was the weak point in the defenses. Montcalm himself had noted the fort's vulnerability to cannon from the hill.

Huts had been built nearby the stone fort to house the troops.


At the tip of the peninsula, connecting Ticonderoga with Mount Independence across the lake, there was an innovative floating bridge anchored by rock filled cassions. These cassions may have originally built on ice and allowed to sink with warmer weather. Just to the north a log and chain boom kept British boats at bay.


On July 4, 1777, a group of forty British troops and several Indian allies climbed Sugar Loaf Hill. The next day they were joined by Lt William Twiss, the chief engineer of Burgoyne's army acting now as an aide to General Phillips, Maj Griffith Williams commanding Burgoyne's artillery, and Brigadier Simon Fraser. A mile long road would have to cut, but 12 pounders could be brought to the hill where they would dominate Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence. Phillips, it is said, exclaimed, "Where a goat can go, a man can go, and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

An American staff officer had suggested to Gen Gates that a fort be built on Sugar Loaf Hill, but the advice was rejected. This staff officer, John Trumbull, along with Anthony Wayne and Benedict Arnold, studied the hill and concluded that cannon could be hauled to the top and fired into the fort. Building a fort there wasn't a simple matter, however, as there wasn't enough money or men to build and man a fort, and there was no good water supply.

The British party atop Sugar Loaf Hill had been spotted, and Indians had made campfires, demonstrating a larger presence. St Clair called a council of war. He had only 2.089 Continentals and 900 militia, and the British were preparing to open a devastating artillery crossfire on Ticonderoga, including from Sugar Loaf Hill. Meanwhile, the British/Hessian column on the east side of the lake was having difficulty crossing East Creek. The decision was unanimous - the army must evacuate stores by boat and retreat across the bridge toward the Hampshire Grants while there was still time. On July 6th, Burgoyne met with American deserters who said that the American army had evacuated. They had indeed evacuated, and in their haste and lack of planning, they left behind a wealth of stores and weapons. There is a story that two American soldiers were left at the Mount Independence side of the bridge to fire a cannon at the advancing British, but were found drunk this story has only one source, and an unreliable one at that. The bridge was cut by the retreating Americans, so when the British naval vessels breached the boom, they were free to continue south.

Skenesborough - now Whitehall

The naval part of the evacuation ended here at the south end of Lake Champlain on the afternoon of July 6th. Without even unloading the them, Col. Pierce Long burned and blew up the boats.

Today, the Champlain Canal connects Lake Champlain and the Hudson River.

What was the cause of the disaster at Ticonderoga? The American weakness in light troops meant that the defenders were kept in the dark about British movements. If Ticonderoga had been defended by a smaller force, and designed to be defended by a smaller force, a field army might have been able to contest the British advance and harass a British siege. But would a field army have been large enough to defeat Burgoyne? As it was, the American defenses required all of the troops available and more - not enough to occupy Mount Defiance and not even enough to defend existing fortifications. The effort was doomed to begin with, and the Americans were saved only by the failure of the British/Hessian column on the eastern side of the lake.

Informed of the fall of Ticonderoga, an elated King George exclaimed to his wife, "I have beat them!" On the American side, the news was a shock, and a rumor even circulated that Schyuler and St Clair had commited treason, paid for by silver bullets fired into the fort. St Clair, however, was found not guilty of charges against him in a court martial. The campaign was far from over, and the American army retreating east was still in danger. As the British pursued, a rear guard action at Hubbardton could decide the fate of the American Northern Army.


How fast could a group of slaves in rebellion build a palisade fort with a gate and flanking towers/ whats in it? [closed]

Want to improve this question? Update the question so it focuses on one problem only by editing this post.

I have a high fantasy story about a slave rebellion in an adjacent kingdom being backed by an empire who wishes to seize control over the kingdom. The deal is they'll help win the war and end the slave trade in the territory if they are given control over the kingdom.

I'm drawing on elements of the Roman slave rebellions in Sicily for some structure to the rebellion overall, but I am unsure about details of certain military actions. I have my slaves starting on a forest island off of the kingdom they were enslaved in. I figured if they were going to stay in this location and start formulating their rebellion they would need some sort of defensible position. I have them on a hilltop in a clearing they made after clearing the trees for lumber. I wanted to have palisade walls, a fortified gate and flanking towers, and possibly a secondary gate, because repetition was a big element of medieval defenses.

My question is first of all: Is this realistic, is this overkill/underkill? Then how long would this take to construct with approximately 100 people, half being in fine working condition? Then what would be inside of the palisade walls as far as living? Not everyone is a fighter, there are women and children and some elderly, and the weather and conditions are harsh in the area. Would it be entirely tent living and lean-tos worst case scenario, would their be some structures besides walls and towers?

My goal is to try and depict warfare accurately to the period so any advice here is appreciated! Just found this site, it's pretty neat and I figured I'd toss a question your way that I've been mulling on a bit.


Presidio Wall

This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agust n del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under the command of Lt. Col. Juan Bautista de Anza. The first fort, a crude wooden palisade, was replaced by adobe walls begun about 1778 and completed in 1783. For 80 years Presidial soldiers provided protection for San Xavier mission and for settlers who farmed the Santa Cruz valley.

Espa ol
Muralla Presidial
Esta l mina se ala la esquina del noroeste de la muralla de adobe rodeando el presidio espa ol de San Agust n del Tucs n. En 1776 el nuevo fuerte estaba guarnecido por unos setenta soldados de caballer a e indios exploradores, trasladados de Tubac bajo la comandancia de Juan Bautista de Anza. La primera palizada de le os fue reemplazada por una muralla de adobe, empezada en 1778 y terminada en 1783. Por ochenta a os los soldados del presidio proteg an la misi n de San Xavier y los agricultores del valle de la Santa Cruz.

Erected by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.

Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles

&bull Hispanic Americans &bull Notable Places &bull Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.

Localización. 32° 13.451′ N, 110° 58.545′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Avenue and West Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Avenue. Toque para ver el mapa. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Toque para obtener instrucciones.

Otros marcadores cercanos. Al menos otros 8 marcadores se encuentran a poca distancia de este marcador. N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson (here, next to this marker) Mansions of Main Avenue (a few steps from this marker) Presidio San Agust n del Tucson (a few steps from this marker) Leonardo Romero House (within shouting distance of this marker) Hiram S. Stevens House (within shouting distance of this marker) Meyer Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line) La Casa Cordova (about 400 feet away) Main Gate (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.

Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the


Ver el vídeo: Casa de SUPER ADOBE Instalaciones Electricas,agua,Drenaje,ect (Julio 2022).


Comentarios:

  1. Tygoshicage

    yo no entiendo algo

  2. Fernald

    De acuerdo, información útil

  3. Winfrid

    ¿Qué necesitas después de todo?

  4. Yedidiah

    Es solo una excelente idea

  5. Huxford

    No me arrepiento de haber perdido un par de minutos leyendo. Escríbeme más a menudo, sin duda pasaré a leer algo nuevo.



Escribe un mensaje